Here are some best parental control apps that will help you to keep control over your kid’s habits.
As you know that smartphones are the most important devices in our lives, we tend to share a smartphone with kids, but parents have always wanted to keep control over the usage of phones, that’s where the need of parental control apps is felt.
One cannot imagine a day without the smartphone. With this dependence, the digital danger is lurking everywhere. Internet never goes to sleep. This can be a challenge for the parents how to save their children from this danger.
- Best App for blocking Apps and Inappropriate Content: Kidslox
- Best App to Monitory Child’s Activity Qustodio
- Best App for monitoring all devices of the family: FamilyTime
- The best app to avoid hacking of sensitive info: Norton Family Premier
- Best App to control mobile phone usage: ScreenTime
- Simplest and complete parental control app: Kids Place
Why do we need parental control tools?
1. Children can get into any kind of mischief on their mobile phones or tablets. It can be either on purpose or by accident.
2. Accessing inappropriate apps like Musical.ly or games like Blue Whale.
3. Your child might be interacting or chatting with a stranger which can be dangerous.
4. Spending too much time on social media apps like Snapchat, Live Chat, Facebook, etc.
5. There may be a scene where they just spend too much time every day staring at a screen.
Some Apps can be inappropriate for kids
The Blue Whale challenge and Musical.ly is an example of how kids of today need protection and taught important life skills. Children are required to develop the ability to discriminate between right and wrong. As a parent or guardian, you may want to read this informative piece by Lifehacker on Why kids should not use Musical.ly or TikTok
Inside Musical.ly, once you explore the app with the tags #killingstalking, #selfharm. You will be shocked and moreover, the app is popular among the kids of Eight, nine, ten, eleven-year-old kids.
On the other hand, there are games like, The Blue Whale Challenge, which is a suicide game claimed the lives of six children across India and UNICEF India issue an advisory to parents and teachers under its campaign Asli Dost.
Some MEAN people around the world are developing apps and games like these, which is why we need Parental Control Apps.
Check out more than 25 Apps that will help your kids do better. We bet you will love these apps. Read More
Solution – Best Parental Control Apps
The first thing you can do is interact with your kids, even more, be involved with them. Another solution is to use parental control tools. Here are the best of them.
Best App for blocking Apps and Inappropriate Content: Kidslox
Kidslox is a parental control software that lets you manage your family’s screen time with so much ease. It has a special lockdown mode. Here are the main features it provides:
- Kidslox allows you to block Apps like Musical.ly, Games like Bluewhale. It also allows you to block all social media apps like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat and more.
- Blocks the inappropriate content, it allows you to filter over 4 million inappropriate URLs by the click of a button, you can also add your own websites which you want to block.
- It allows you to block content like pornography, block gambling, block violence and block other inappropriate content.
- With Kidslox, you can place daily limits on the child’s screen time. You can add schedules like No phone usage after 9 pm. That really helps your kid to get to bed on time.
- With one account, Kidslox works on as many iPhones, iPads, iPods, Android phones and tablets and other mobile devices as you have in your family.
This is available on Google’s Android, Apple’s iOS devices, Windows PC and Mac OS X. Here is a short demo on Kidslox.
Best App to Monitory Child’s Activity Qustodio
Qustodio is a free parental control app that is designed to supervise, manage and protect your child’s usage on the go. Here are its features
- Qustodio provides real-time internet filter blocks inappropriate content even in private browsing mode.
- It provides you with reports on time spent by your kid on social media apps like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Whatsapp and more.
- You can set a limit on the time of usage of certain apps or games.
- You can block some apps or games altogether
- Qustodio also tracks your child’s location and it can help in case of emergency. Your child can press the panic button in case your child needs help
- You can even block certain contacts for your child.
This is available on Google’s Android, Apple’s iOS devices, Windows PC, Amazon’s Kindle, Nook and Mac OS X. Here is a short review o Qustodio by PCMag.
Best App for monitoring all devices of the family: FamilyTime
FamilyTime helps you to reclaim your family moments by managing content and usage across all the devices in the family. This app helps you to be updated about the children’s whereabouts and like other apps on the list, it helps you to manage screen time of your child. It can also help you to block certain apps on your child’s phone with ease. It has got the following features.
- You can add certain apps to a blacklist that is installed on your children’s phone or tablet. This will prevent access to those apps.
- Internet Filter: This feature allows you to block access to all the websites, content, images and videos from inappropriate categories.
- SOS/Panic Button: As the name suggests, this feature lets you know immediately, in case your child is in danger. Your child can easily access it by tap of a button in case of danger.
- It also allows you to limit screen time for your kid on Android as well as Apple devices. You can also set custom rules, so that you unplug your teen from digital devices, so as to get some quality Family Time.
- You can also add contacts to the watchlist, You will get alerts when these contacts try to contact your kid
- You can also get alerts when your teen tries to overspend. I think this is one of the most unique features of FamilyTime parental control software.
- It also provides advanced location tracking for tracking your family, checking location history for family members.
It is available on both Google’s Android and Apple’s iOS Devices. Check all the features of FamilyTime in this Youtube Video.
The best app to avoid hacking of sensitive info: Norton Family Premier
Norton is well renowned in the field of security. They provide special software for monitoring your kid’s behavior online. Norton Family Premier is available on Android as well as iPhones. It provides support for as many devices you have with one account.
This software is more focussed on the supervision of kids rather than directly blocking the content or apps. Here are the top features.
- Personal Information Protection – This is a unique selling point for Norton Family Premier. This helps your children to avoid giving out sensitive information including phone numbers, addresses or emails to the online world.
- Search Supervision – This feature allows you as a parent to see the words, terms, and phrases your kids are searching online to perform the search. Children can be guided based on that.
- Time Supervision – You can foster healthier habits in your kids by scheduling specific times of day or week, you can limit the time spent on each and every device in your family.
- Web Supervision – This is very common in parental control apps. It lets you block unsuitable websites for your kids. Norton Family Premier also lets you know about websites on which your kid spends most time.
- Social Media Supervision – You can even check how many times your kid logs in to his/her social media account like Facebook.
- Instant Lock – Allows you to lock your kid’s device instantly. Your child can get back access to his phone only using a PIN.
- Email Alerts – In addition to blocking the websites, Norton also sends you an email about which blocked websites your kids are trying to access.
- Location Supervision – Allows you to track the location of your kids.
- Text Message Supervision – You can check SMS conversations of your kids. You can also block certain contacts on kids’ phones, from your device.
- Mobile App Supervision – You can check all the apps which are currently installed on your kid’s phone, you can also choose which ones can be used by your kid.
Best App to control mobile phone usage: ScreenTime
This app has the best user interface in the list. Here are the features
- Instant Pause: You can halt your kid’s device instantly with the press of a button
- Set Daily Time Limits for Device Usage
- Schedules – You can block certain times to avoid distractions, e.g. sleep time and homework time
- Free Play – Lets you override all settings temporarily. This is best for the holidays.
- Web History – Lets you check the web history of your kid.
- Approve Apps – You can approve or disapprove of the new apps requested by your children. This I feel is the most unique feature of ScreenTime.
Simplest and complete parental control app: Kids Place
This is one of the simplest apps on the list. This app can be used when you give your own mobile to your kid. Here is a list of features.
- You can restrict certain apps for your kid.
- Block In-App Purchases and Block Installation of new apps.
- Disable Wireless Signals to keep your kid safe
- Block Calls and SMS
- You can set the security pin so that your kid cannot uninstall this app.
This is only available for Android.
Do you know better parental control apps then these? Please let me know in comments section. Thanks for reading.