A detailed guide on ways to find my lost phone or in case it is stolen.
OMG! I lost my phone again 🙁 … It was right there in my pocket. No! Wait in my purse, what if I lost it somewhere else or maybe
There are a ton of anti-theft or phone recovery apps available on the Apple Play store and Google Play Store that can be a lifesaver in case you lost the phone or, even worse, a stolen phone. But most of us realize the importance of these apps and utilities. AFTER lost phone and usually till then its too late.
To find a lost smartphone anti-theft or it needs a working internet connection to share the location. So here I am gonna share with you some real tricks and techniques that will help you to get your lost smartphone( iPhone, Android). I am gonna discuss the most common options to move out of the box approaches to cover edge cases as well.
How to find my iPhone
Prevention is better than cure. So, make sure you are prepared before you lose the phone.
So, here I will walk you through different ways that will help you find a lost phone. Here’s what you need to do.
If you own iPhone
Method No-1 : using “Find iPhone”
- Go to settings.
- Click on the name at top of the screen
- Click on “iCloud”
- Scroll down to “Find My iPhone.”
- Enable this option
- Turn on the next option “Send Last Location” as well. This will send you the last location of your iPhone until the battery is dead.
In case you lose your iPhone
- Go to “iCloud.com” and sign in with your Apple account.
- Open the utility “Find iPhone”.
- Locate your iPhone on the map.
- Play Sound option lets you play the “Alert”
- “Lost Mode” will allow you to lock the phone and set a phone number to call on found.
- Option “Erase iPhone” erase the data completely and the thief cannot sell it easily.
Method No-2 : using Life 360
Internetbrowser and go to the official website “https://www.life360.com” and log in with the e-mail id and password for the GPS tracking application. Web-basedplatform will use the same login credentials that you used while you installed the app on your iPhone.
- Follow the instructions to track and locate your iPhone using the GPS tracking app.
- The app provides you
withthe detailed information about your iPhone’s activity consisting of previous locations, phone calls that were made, text messages that have been sent and many more.
- Click on the Support option for further support directly from the app developer.
On the general level always take back up of your iPhone to iCloud on regular basis. Now lets move towards Android.
How to find my lost Android Phone?
Method No-1 : Search for your phone using Google’s Find My Device
Google’s official tool “Find My Device” will track down your lost Android phone or tablet. For this
- Your Android phone should be connected to your Google account.
- It should be turned on and connected to the internet.
- Go to “Find My Device” website, logged in with your Google Account. The site will automatically load and track down your lost phone.
- You can also locate any registered Android mobile or tablet from the search results. Use the search phrase “where is my phone” and Google will display a little map above the search results in which it will try to find your lost Android phone.
- By tapping on the “Ring” option you can let the mobile
ringing ,Lock the phone and also wipes data.
- “Find My Device’ will share the information such as last location, last connected Wi-Fi access point, and Battery level.
- You can also log in as a “Guest User” from someone’s else “Find My Device app” and
tracksdown your lost device.
Method No-2 : Google Photos
- If you have enabled the option ‘Backup & Sync’ in Google Photos.
- Then browse photos.google.com and sign in with “Google Account” credentials.
- See if any image were taken after your device went missing.
- If so then tap on the image, tap info icon on the top right corner.
- In the sidebar
,you will see the image’s information including the location.
Method No-3 Using third party tools Samsung’s Find My Mobile
- You can find
Samsungphone with Samsung’s own tracking utility “ Find my mobile”
- Registered with Samsung account and Set up of Find my mobile in your Samsung phone.
- Move and sign in with Find my mobile website.
- Check the left sidebar and click “Locate my device” in the sidebar and click on locate.
- If the phone is online; you can see the approx. , and do the things like lock the device, let it on
ringand wipe its data.
Method No-4 Using IMEI
International Mobile Equipment Identity: IMEI is a unique 15-digit code for a smartphone. IMEI number automatically emitted and tracked over the network when a particular network is used to make or receive
You know your IMEI number by dialing *#06#, and a unique number will appear. Another way is to go to “Settings” and click on “About Phone” to check the IMEI code of your smartphone. You can also get the IMEI number on the packing of
- Locate your lost phone with an IMEI tracker App like AntiTheft App & IMEI Tracker All Phone Location, Find Lost Phone, Find My Device, SeekDroid: Find My Phone, and so on.
- Install any app out of them.
- Run the app and give all permissions like contacts, calls, SMS, location.
- Put IMEI number of your lost Android phone. A list of places will appear in the close proximity of your phone.
After reading method 4 to track down using IMEI number the question must pop up into your head whether the same work for iPhone.
The answer is YES! But “Find my iPhone” works better than IMEI number in case of iPhone.
You might also like to check most interesting Android Apps in 2018.
Find your Lost Phone using Apps
Google and Apple built in utilize do a lot better to track down the lost phone but there are some third party apps for both Android and Apple that you might think of to consider.
Our top recommended the app with a large selection of remote control options. What makes this app our top choice is its
The App by Life360 is a GPS tracker for phones and it’s especially useful for families with multiple phones. Family Locator makes a circle of your family members calls and members will appear on live maps, you can chat with the people and also broadcast the location and setting time. The app will track down the lost or stolen phone in the circle.
Download: Family Locator
Prey Anti Theft
With the Prey Anti Theft
Download: Prey Anti Theft
Lost Android let you access your stolen
Download: Lost Android
Where’s My Droid
The app will allow you to locate your phone using GPS or Google Maps and also you can use a passcode to control and made check on unauthorized access. With this
You can wipe data with the Pro version of the app, and also remotely lock the device.
Download: Where’s My Droid
Questions & Answers
Q1. Why I am not able to track my phone with Android Device Manager?
- The phone might be turned off
- Battery is drained
- Not connected with internet
- The thief might have removed the Google account
- Maybe your phone is factory reset.
Q2. If SIM card is removed still can i track my phone?
Answer is Yes! Using your Google Account
Q3. What if I have changed my Google account password can I still track down my smartphone?
Yes! Till you have access to your Google Account and requirement met ( see the methods above).
Things you should do ASAP if you lost your phone
- Lodge a complaint
- Change all the passwords
- Inform your carrier
- Disable the services
- Wipe the data off
I hope this article will help you to get the lost smart device of yours and if you are reading this article for interest it will surely aware you about the precaution steps that you can take to make your phone safe and let you use some utilities that can help you in case you misplace your phone.
If you have doubts in your mind? You are most welcome to post your queries in the comments! I will be happy to revert you…