What if you woke up in the morning and you find your private information from your social media account like Twitter has been allegedly used by a hacker for some illegal task or misuse in one or other way? That’s why you need to know more about Twitter Privacy and Security Settings.
Digital privacy on social media platforms is a very serious issue. This is why I earlier wrote about Important Important Facebook Privacy Settings. Twitter also has a number of options which you can adjust as per your requirements to set the privacy the way you like.
This article will emphasize on privacy and security. It may not be as per everyone’s requirement. So, choose the options with which you are comfortable with (You can change your settings any time)
So, let’s start with Twitter privacy settings. Before moving ahead open your twitter account either on the computer or on your mobile.
- 1. Concerns about your Twitter Password
- 2. How to reset the Twitter Password (Forgot Password)
- 3. How to “Turn on two-factor authentication” using Twitter Privacy Settings?
- 4. How to Deactivate your Twitter account?
- 5. How to download your Twitter archive (All Twitter Data)?
- 6. How to protect your Tweets?
- 7. How to unfollow People on Twitter?
1. Concerns about your Twitter Password
Passwords are the most common way to prove your identity when using websites, apps, email services, and other online services. Passwords ensure the security and confidentiality of data stored on various servers across the world.
I think I dont need to tell you about the need to have strong passwords.
How to Change the Twitter password?
Time needed: 5 minutes.
How to Change the Twitter password using the website?
- Open your Twitter account
Go to twitter.com, log in using your username and password (if not logged in).
- Open “Settings and Privacy”
Click on More option with the three horizontal dots and click on “Settings and Privacy”
- Open Password settings.
In the option “Account”, Tap on the “Password”.
- Enter the new password and save.
Enter the previous password and then add the “new password” and confirms the new password. Tap on save. To save changed settings
If you use the Twitter app on your smartphone, then follow these steps below.
Using the Twitter App
1. Open the Twitter app on your smartphone
2. Tap on your profile picture.
3. Click on Settings and privacy.
4. Click on Account.
5. Under the heading Login and security heading, tap Password.
6. Type your current password in the text box of Current password.
7. Type the new password.
8. Type the new password second time to confirm it.
9. Click on Update Password.
Now sign in to your Twitter account with the new password.
2. How to reset the Twitter Password (Forgot Password)
When you are not able to remember your Twitter password, reset it. For this, you require an email address or a phone number attached to your twitter account to reset a forgotten password.
You can refer to the above video or follow steps below
1. Open Twitter sign-in page.
2. Click on the option “forgot password?”.
3. Type your email address, Twitter username or phone number in the text box.
4. Click Search. You will be asked to select the way of “How to reset your password”.
5. Select the method you want to use for the password reset. The reset code will be sent to either on your email address or on your phone number depending on how your Twitter account is set up.
6. Click on Continue. A drop up box will appear with a message to inform you to open your email or check your text messages.
7. Open the text message or email, then select Reset password.
8. Type your new password in the “Type your new password text box.”
9. Type your new password second time to confirm it, in the “Type your new password” text box.
10. Click on Submit.
11. Login Twitter with your username and a new password
3. How to “Turn on two-factor authentication” using Twitter Privacy Settings?
Turning of Two-factor authentication means even if someone has your password, they can’t log in to your account without the second piece of information like code texted to your mobile phone. Twitter calls it ”login verification”. This is one of the most important features in Twitter Privacy settings.
Follow these steps to activate this.
1. Click your profile icon, then tap Settings and privacy.
2. Click on your Account < Security < Login Verification. Click Start.
3. Type your password and tap Verify.
4. Click Send code to add your phone number. (already associated phone number with your Twitter account).
5. Type the verification code sent to your device, then tap on Submit.
6. Click Get Backup Code to view code, generated by Twitter. (Save it for future use).
7. Once you register with login verification you select the any of the verification methods.
4. How to Deactivate your Twitter account?
You may want to temporarily give break to Twitter, and hide your public profile. To do this, you can deactivate your account. But remember, you have to reactivate it within 30 days in order to protect your account from getting deleted permanently. Follow these steps to deactivate your account.
1. Tap Settings and privacy
2. Tap on Account, tap Deactivate at the bottom of the page.
3. Read the account deactivation information, then click Deactivate.
4. Type your password when prompted and confirm, you want to proceed by tapping the Deactivate button.
5. How to download your Twitter archive (All Twitter Data)?
1. Open Account settings by clicking on the More icon, and select Settings and privacy.
2. Under the Account heading, Tap “Your Twitter data”
3. Type your password under Download your Twitter data and tap confirm.
4. Tap the Request data button. In case your Twitter account is connected to Periscope, you’ll get the option “Request data from Periscope” as well.
5. On download ready, Twitter will send an email to your connected email account. You can also click the Download data button under the Download data section from your settings.
6. As you receive the email, click the Download button while logged in to your Twitter account and download a .zip file of your Twitter archive. Unzip that and you can see all of your data.
With this option, you can download all of your historic data, all the posts, photos and videos which you posted on Twitter.
6. How to protect your Tweets?
If you want that only your Twitter Followers can see your tweets, no unknowns, then activate this option.
1. Tap More (3 horizontal dots) option, select “ Settings and privacy”
2. Go to your Privacy and safety settings.
3. In the section Tweet privacy, click with the mouse to check the box Protect my Tweets.
4. Tap the Protect button at the bottom.
5. Enter your password to confirm the change.
7. How to unfollow People on Twitter?
There are several ways to do it. Here are a few of them.
To unfollow from a Tweet
- Go to a Tweet from the account you would like to unfollow.
- Click the icon located at the top of the Tweet.
- Click Unfollow from the selection menu.
- Search the Tweet from the account to unfollow.
- Hold the mouse cursor over their name.
- Click the following button.
To unfollow from your following list
- Tap your profile icon.
- Click Following at the top of your profile.
- Tap the following icon next to the Account like to unfollow.
- Choose Unfollow to confirm.
- Tap your profile icon.
- Click Profile.
- Tap Following at the top of your profile.
- Choose the checked following icon next to the account you would like to unfollow.
- Click Yes to confirm.
- Tap Following on profile page.
- Hover your mouse over the Following button next to any account name on the following list, it will change to Unfollow.
- Tap the button to unfollow the account.
To unfollow from an account’s profile page
- Open the profile which you want to unfollow.
- There will be a button with text “Following” on the top right.
- Click on this button and you will be asked for confirmation to unfollow this account.
- Click on Yes.
- Open profile page of the account you like to unfollow.
- Hover your mouse over the Following button on their profile page; it will change to Unfollow.
- Click the button to unfollow the account.
This is all for this article. I hope I have cleared a lot of your doubts by presenting most of the information related to Twitter Privacy settings at one place with visual cues.
I will be waiting for your feedback and questions in the comments section. Thanks for your time.